Monday 15 November 2010

First things first.

I needed a story.


I used some of the information I had from my first year of film studies and researched online for screen writing theories to help me get started.


THE THREE ACT STRUCTURE




  1. Setup (Location/Characters)
  2. Confrontation (Obstacle)
  3. Resolution (Dénouement/Outcome)


MONOMYTH (A Hero's Journey)




  1. A call to adventure (the hero may accept or decline)
  2. A road of trials (to which the hero can succeed or fail)
  3. Achieving a goal or 'boon' (often results in important self-knowledge)
  4. A return to the ordinary world (to which the hero can succeed or fail)
  5. Application of the boon (what the hero has gained can be used to improve the world)
SYD FIELD'S PARADIGM



  1. Opening Image (Establishing shot)
  2. Inciting Indecent/Catalyst (where the protagonist encounters a problem)
  3. Plot Point One ( A development that drastically affects the protagonist)
  4. Pinch One (reminder of the initial conflict)
  5. Mid-Point (important scene to keep pace)
  6. Pinch Two (another reminder of initial conflict)
  7. Plot Point Two (dramatic reversal, about confrontation and resolution)
  8. Showdown (protagonist confront the main issue/problem)
  9. Resolution (the issues of the story are resolved)
  10. Tag (epilogue, resolving loose ends, offering closure)


These may not tie in exactly with a film of only five minutes but it's a good place to start. When I come around to brainstorming my ideas for my project this information will help me decide on the most appropriate story to pursue as well as helping me put together the narrative structure etc. 



No comments:

Post a Comment