Tuesday 16 November 2010

What can I conclude from what I already know on short films?

My Media Studies teacher advised me to come up with ideas and views on short films, where they come from and why they are made with examples etc... to help me understand my project and improve my knowledge on short films in order to make it easier to make my own short film.

I brainstormed some ideas and thought of examples of short films I knew;


  • The Short Films of David Lynch
When I was doing my Film Studies A level I was introduced to 'The Grandmother', one of the short films by David Lynch, I then researched and watched the rest of the short films by David Lynch including 'The Amputee', 'The Alphabet' and 'The Cowboy and the Frenchman' which are all good examples of short films. These surrealist films are a clear example of the type of short films out there, short films are largely dominated by independent cinema and less mainstream directors. This means these short films will be directed to a more select audience such as people who study or work in the film industry or anyone that is a fan of less conventional cinema.


  • Pixar Studios Short Films
I had often noticed that Pixar make and present a short animated film before the showing of a full length animation. When I realised we were studying short films I decided to watch all of the short films made by Pixar. I watched the films and researched into why these short films were made and shown just before another Pixar film, The short films created by Pixar seem to help get the audience into the right frame of mind, conveying certain emotions or providing certain themes to be expected through the oncoming film such as humour.



  • Wasp
I remember being shown the film 'Wasp' in my A2 year of film studies, I decided to watch it again and do a bit of background research for it to help with this project. 'Wasp' is a classic example of an independent British film, which is a classic example of the kinds of short films created for current audiences. British films have built up a following over the years which has expanded due to films such as 'This is England.' Due to the audience gritty British drama's cater for it crosses over into the audience short films cater for making the 'Wasp' a great example of a short film to use for my project.



  • Doodlebug
I saw the film 'Doodlebug' when I was researching Christopher Nolan as a project two years ago, a short film focused on a man's insanity. This film leans towards surrealist which reinstates the type of audience and directors that create and appreciate short films. Although I could not find any other examples of short films created by Christopher Nolan, his background as a director and 'Doodlebug' as a film prove to be a perfect candidate for the research I have done so far into the development of the short film industry.





No comments:

Post a Comment